Thursday, November 24, 2011

That Time We Can Never Be Completely Prepared For

Well, I just got done making a cherry cobbler for Thanksgiving later today, for a few friends, my girlfriend and myself are all getting together for a nice dinner. I hope everything goes well; it seems that Thanksgiving is just not what it seems anymore. My Grandmother (a wonderful lady, I wish I could have known more) passed away on Thanksgiving back years ago when I was still young, and my Uncle who used to spend every Thanksgiving with us also passed away a few years back (I miss him a lot). Now both my parents are divorced and my dad moved away never to be heard from again, presumably. That leaves just me and my mom.

It is so hard right now, thinking about all the things that have happened in my life, and how I wish things were different. I plan on coming out to my Mom probably this Sunday. Luckily, I have a friend who is willing to come with me for emotional support. I just have no idea what my Mom is going to say. I stated in an earlier post that we have always been so close, and I know she loves me, but we have also been through so much that, I am so afraid of loosing her. I only hope that things will go well, and she accepts who I am.

I have spent some time trying to put together a bunch of information together for her about transitioning, even a book for her to read. I also know that she will have so many questions about why I want to transition. I need to remember that it is not that I "want" to transition, it is that I "need" to transition to make myself closer to who I am inside. Otherwise I will always feel out of place or different. I have also been thinking about all the different things that have led to me understand my problem and led me to want to transition. I am surprised I did not think of transitioning earlier; I did so much curious web surfing on the subject over the years, that I should have seen it, but I guess sometimes you just need that one person or thing to point it out to you.

I know this is Thanksgiving and I should try and enjoy myself today, and I will try, but I have never felt so nervous and scared about talking with my Mom. It is not like when you are younger and your afraid you will get caught with something you did, it is ten times worse. I know that it is better I tell her now before she finds out the hard way when she really starts seeing things, especially since I am getting farther and farther along with my hormones, but it still does not get rid of the fear. All I can say is, build a wall around yourself with friends you know that are supportive of your situation; let them help to take some of the pressure away. That way if things do go sour, you will always have someone you can go too. Pray, that it won't matter and your family will love you and be there for you. Again, the fear will always be there, but we must do things that frighten us, otherwise all we will do is cower and never move ahead in life or in becoming the person you know you are and becoming.

I hope this is helpful to others out there, good luck on your journey, and Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment